Thursday, 28 April 2016

My favourite mentor

Growing up I always knew I could go to my mother with any issue that bothered me. She was always willing to listen to me and even when we would sit and just talk, she would always tell me there were so much good things in store for me. She shielded me from danger, however I am thankful that unlike most parents growing up children in the 1980’s she did not shield me from certain topics that were considered taboo at that time. My mother was a great mentor and even though she never went to school and did not know how to write nor read, she encouraged me to do so, to the point of staying up every night with me under the lamplight as I completed my home-work. She would buy a book for me every week and beautiful stationery to write letters to my aunt in Texas, and thus began my love for books and stationery.


Every once in a while I think about her and smile. She died with cancer the year I was scheduled to write my CXC examinations. She had been suffering for three years prior. This post is dedicated to my mother,, my mentor, who taught me to love books. It is my hope that the readers of this blog post have wonderful mentors as I did my mom. Realize your dreams and make your mentors proud as I have made my mom proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment