Tuesday, 19 April 2016

A Success Story

I worked at a bank for a number of years and while working there, I met a man who told me his success story as an entrepreneur. He would come to the bank, dressed in his cleanly pressed shirt, his tie and dress pants and the staff would eagerly rush to their handbags to get money to ensure they got at least one of the product he offered. Everyone knew when he came into the bank, because as soon as he ascended the escalator and arrived on the mezzanine floor, some of the staff would rush to the telephone to buzz their friends on the intercom to announce his arrival. He would travel the eight floors in the elevator to get to as many clients as possible and usually when he came down again, his bags (or should I say briefcases) of goodies would be all gone. I remember the first time I experienced his arrival to my unit as if it was yesterday. The loan officers that were with clients excused themselves, quickly handed me some money and told me how many of his product to purchase for them while they quickly returned to their clients. Even the manager and supervisor of the unit got in on the action, telling me to discretely ask the front-line staff if they needed any before he departed our unit.


When this entrepreneur became accustomed with me after I repeatedly purchased from him and chatted with him every time he came by, I finally asked him how he got into the business he was in. He relayed his story and pulled out newspaper articles which he carried around with him. He was featured in both the Trinidad Guardian newspaper and the Trinidad and Tobago Newsday. Leaving a budding career in the insurance industry, this entrepreneur helped his wife to bake and sell pone, for which he says, they have made a thriving career out of. His story was such a fascinating one that I want to share it with my readers today. He is commonly known as the “Pone Emperor” and can usually be seen walking the streets of Port of Spain, stopping by most business places in the city. If you are travelling to Port of Spain in a maxi taxi on the bus route from east to west after 3 in the afternoon, you may get a glimpse of him. Always very friendly and with a smile on his face he would greet you. To read his story and be inspired, click on the links below. 



No comments:

Post a Comment